A Natural Laundry Detergent : How to Use Soap Nuts
Diseases are increasing day by day. People started to eat organic foods or use natural products for their needs in order to get rid of diseases or to protect themselves from incurable diseases. For our health, we should also use natural products in laundry cleaning. We researched soap nuts, one of the most used natural products in laundry cleaning.
What Are Soap Nuts Natural Laundry Detergent ?
The fruits of the Sapindus Mukorossi tree, native to the Himalayas, are called “soap nuts”. It has been used for centuries in India for cleaning. Soap nuts mature on the tree, then they fall to the ground. The shells of these nuts collected from the soil are separated and dried in the sun. These shells create a soap effect. They are used completely naturally without any other processing.
When these shells are rubbed in water, they release a substance called “saponin”. Saponin exhibits surfactant properties. It breaks the surface tension and works like soap by getting between the fabric and the dirt. So, if you are looking for a natural laundry detergent for washing clothes, you can use laundry soap nuts.
How to use soap nuts laundry
Put 5-6 soap nuts in a small cloth bag, tie it up, then put it into your machine with your laundry and start your machine. Soap nut interacts with water and creates a foaming reaction with the friction created by the movement of the machine.
You can use the same soap nuts 4-5 more times until they lose their color.
What are the advantages of soap nuts over industrial detergent?
- They are natural laundry cleaner
- Since it does not contain chemicals, it does not cause allergies on hypoallergenic skin.
- It eliminates the irritation caused by the chemical detergent in skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema.
- It can be used as a safer alternative to chemical detergent for babies’ sensitive skin.
- Soap nuts are sustainable and chemical-free.
- Since it is a completely natural product, no chemicals are mixed into the sea with the washing water coming out of the machine.